First experience with Obamacare

FaithHopeCharity FaithHopeCharity

First experience with Obamacare

I had my first experience yesterday with Obamacare.  I went to the dermatologist for a skin check. She froze one spot and recommended that I have a couple of other things removed.  She told me that insurance used to cover the removal of the other spots she wanted to remove, but due to the new healthcare bill, the government will no longer allow insurance to cover it.  It will be at least $200 out of my pocket to have it done.  The only way the government will allow insurance to cover it now is if I come in with these spots irritated and bleeding.  She also told me they pour through their records monthly to be sure they are not allowing procedures to be paid for by insurance that they have deemed cannot be paid for by insurance.  I'm sure there is much more of this coming our way.....this is just the beginning!
Deanne Martin-Soares Deanne Martin-Soares

Re: First experience with Obamacare

Just received this today.  Home Health - which is a fast growing need is being cut significantly.  I know this is a little medical related but thought I would share:

Home health agencies have been expecting the hit ever since the passage of the national health care reform bill – Affordable Care Act (ACA), but CMS’ proposed 2011 PPS rule goes beyond anything the industry expected.  CAHSAH’s Medicare Committee Chair, Pat West, expressed it best when she said:

“The proposed rule is outrageous, a logistic nightmare and financially impossible to expect home health agencies to take such a huge hit that impacts reimbursement in six distinct ways.  CMS is proposing to impose an additional outlier shift, decrease the market basket update, include a case mix creep that is twice what was previously proposed, reduce the LUPA add-on, reduce reimbursement for non-routine supplies and delete the hypertension code. All of this while they mandate us to do more with less reimbursement.  We cannot lie down and play dead!”

On top of that we now have our elected officials introducing bills to fix the mess that has been created.  Additionally, Senator Susan Collins and Representative James McGovern have introduced S. 3315; H.R. 5803 respectively, also called the Home Health Care Access Protection Act, which aims to prevent CMS from implementing these regulatory reductions, as well as allow an NP to sign the plan of care.

Maybe thinking it through the first time would have helped.  Implementation of this is going to decimate healthcare delivery.